Anthem VIP Demo - DLLorenzo Review

 ANTHEM VIP DEMOS




So Anthem is an upcoming online multiplayer action Role Playing Game being developed by Bioware (MassEffect) and published by EA and is due to release February 22nd 2019. Players assume the role of a Freelancer, one of a group of people that traverse the world in armored mech-like suits called Javelins.

So I was lucky enough to be able to take part in the VIP demo, albeit had to wait till Sunday 27th to even get into the demo due to account issues......EA Origin and server issues.



WHAT HAPPENED?

Redeemed a code from my friend on the Friday evening set up a new origin account as I was unsure whether I had set one up as I believed origin is for PC as per the help and support on Origin.com. Redeemed the code I got from my friend and tried signing into the demo but kept getting conflicting messages which said I was not able to join the VIP demo as basically I WASN'T VIP plus due to server issues no one was able to get in to the game out of me and my friends except for one person who was quickly booted from the game. My understanding from EA and Origins you could sign into an EA account when you actually got into the game but I was unable to progress.






The same issue happened Saturday however 2 of my friends were able to get a game or two even with server issues. While  speaking to friends I realised that I had a pre-existing EA Origin account set up back in 2011 which was already allocated to my PSN when I played fifa and other games! - Logging into that EA Origin account successfully I added a second code (I managed to get from GAME)
So editing my old account to include my updated email address I thought the change would be instantaneous.......NOPE..... I decided I had to download and use one of my EA games to pick up the account....Battlefield 1 nope.....FIFA recognised my details...but still nothing.




Sunday 27th I jumped online to see if any changes....I was in to the game albeit once or twice the game froze or there were server issues I was finally into the Anthem VIP demo and completed the first mission, 2nd mission and the 3rd mission and was also able to have a game or 2 with my friend.

Apparently by taking part in the VIP demo I will apparently get a free item to take with me into the open demo and the main game when it drops February 22nd 2019 the picture below apparently is the special skin all players will get for taking part in the VIP demo....



01/02/2019
I've also been able to jump into the open demo, servers seem to be running fine no issues or lag this time and the game is frantic but awesome (please see my Pros and cons of the game).

THE LOWDOWN OF THE VIP DEMO?

Putting it simply Anthem looks beautiful and is essentially you are an adventurer in an armoured suit traversing the landscapes of this world......you are Ironman (basically).



PROS:
  • Beautiful looking environments 
  • Combat is good, enemies give a range of close to long range combat getting the user to approach battles differently
  • History of the world is available in-game allowing extra minutes/hours of content for fans of the game
  • The Javelins all have their strengths and weaknesses and can be used depending on the situation. Tried all the suits and I enjoyed trying out all of them, you have the Ranger (the jack of all trades ironman suit), The Colossus (heavy hitting hulkbuster), the Storm (Space Wizard suit) and the Interceptor (close combat stylee).
  •  Designs of the Javelins, I assume more upgrades and physical changes will be available and possibly more Javelins will be created in DLC's
  • Bioware are a well known developer due to the mass effect series and people are hopeful this is their next big game!

CONS:
  • Currently no singleplayer campaign or single player missions...this is a major thing for me and other players as bioware have been quoted there are missions you cannot do as a solo player.... A lot of players prefer to play by themselves or with friends.
  •  EA's inclusion is merely as a publisher but a lot of fans are aware there may be microtransactions in the full version of the game.
  • After a few hours my friends were a little bored of the game, while graphically it is impressive we've seen similar things over the years and we used to play destiny so it could be the next destiny unless they improve on the actual basis of the game
  • The game has to be played online at all times - users who don't have PSN plus or like to play online cant play this game.


OVERVIEW:

The game so far is a beautiful looking game, the designs of the mech suits are cool and cannot wait to see this evolve. The game looks to be the next Destiny as EA have signed a 10 year contract with Bioware similar to Bungie with Destiny. The VIP demo and Open demo were met with the pros and cons suggested above and the developers Bioware have suggested they may review the lack of single player and have said additional content will come but it looks like the game will need to played online and with friends or randoms for the time being.

4/5 from DLLorenzo, Anthem is a cool mecha MMO game set in an open world, so far it needs to played online and looks like it could be the next Destiny. Only time will tell with EA and Bioware's next game




Comments